Saturday 4 March 2017

MAF 2016: Films in Competition: Shorts 1

To kick start MAF this year, I started the morning off with watching the first set of shorts under the category 'Films in Competition'. I thought that it would be a nice way to start the day off and give me an idea of what to expect for the next three days. I really enjoyed this years screening of shorts, as I felt that there was a wider range of animation techniques to be seen, including more 2D/traditional animation. Not only this, but this year I felt that there were a lot less animations based on morbid or serious topics and there were a lot more animations that just seemed silly and done for the fun of it, which was really encouraging to see.

1) Birdz by Emilien Davaud

Birdz is a short CGI film that depicts the struggle of surviving nature in a rather peculiar way. Like the title suggests the focus is on a birds but with a twist. Instead of the characters being birds, they are in fact humans that look and act like birds in all senses. However, other than the fact that this animation was a little bit silly, it doesn't actually appeal to me all that much. Being interested n 2D animation, it hasn't given me any inspiration for my own work and on the whole I found it quite disturbing to watch, but I feel that the uncomfortable feeling of it worked in its favour.


2) Of Shadows and Wings... by Elice Meng & Eleonora Marinoni

Of Shadows and Wings was the animation of the day for me. I absolutely adored this animation not only for its wonderful aesthetic but also because of its brilliant story. This animation is an excellent example of how emotion and story can be told with little use of speech, yet still be as effective, if not more than animations that focus on the delivery of speech rather than body language. Not only this, but the animation demonstrates how effective music and sound are when put together to create a strong sense of emotion and understanding for an audience.

Also, the film was also extremely beautiful to look at aesthetically and very well animated, which made it even more entertaining to watch. In particular I really liked the way that the environments depicted the mood and tone of the main character. The way that the animation starts off with very deep blues and greens to reveal a bright colourful ending to portray the characters sense of freedom and relief. Not only does this animation demonstrate effective storytelling through character body language and sound, but it also reminds me that colours are just as important and can tell huge parts of a story to an audience before a character has even been introduced.

This beautiful piece has definitely made me think about my extended practice and how I will approach colour and sound within my final film, as they will be important in helping me tell my story.

3) The Inverted Peak by The Brothers McLeod

As I had been to see The Brothers McLeod at the start of the month, it was nice to see The Inverted Peak, as they weren't allowed to show it to us at the talk because it had been submitted to festivals. The animation itself is amazing to watch and to listen to, as it bombards you with strange visuals and even stranger sounds, that make the whole experience quite bizarre but at the same time somewhat hypnotic and mesmerizing. The use of colour and mixed media demonstrate how animation can also take you into a world of abstract wonders to explore unusual or difficult themes, such as the quest for enlightenment and desire.

Not only this, but the animation demonstrates how sound can be used to make someone feel uncomfortable and create a particular mood or atmosphere, as I was definitely on edge throughout the whole film. I'm still 100% certain what exactly happens within the animation, but it definitely made me question things and think about what animation is a medium and how it can be used for more than storytelling and entertainment.

Overall, I have really enjoyed the opening films I saw whilst at MAF because they have given me the opportunity to see animations from places such the Netherlands and Mexico, which I wouldn't necessarily come across on my own. They have also provided me with a lot of insight for my extended practice and have given me the chance to think about and consider certain elements of my project that I may have otherwise neglected, such as colour use and the importance of sound and music.

No comments:

Post a Comment