Friday 31 March 2017

Studio Research: Kilogramme

Kilogramme is an animation studio based in Manchester, that produces a wide variety of both 2D and 3D animations for shorts, interstitials and adverts for both broadcasting and online.


There are a number of reasons I wanted to look into Kilogramme as a possible studio to work for, but I feel the biggest is that the studio appears to work on a wide range of projects that are all different and unique that explore a different technique or aesthetic every time. Even though the studio practices in both 2D and 3D animation, I feel that they do so equally and that their showreel is very diverse. 



They also work on a range of projects from shorts to adverts. Although I don't necessarily want to work on commercial work, I feel that this studio has a good balance between commercial and non-commercial, and I understand that working on commercial briefs also helps to 'pay the bills'.

The fact that this studio engages in such a variety of techniques, aesthetics and projects could play a huge role in why this animation studio is so successful. Due to them being able to create work of such a variety demonstrates that they are extremely flexible and are capable of curating a unique response to a brief. This has led to the company working with an extensive number of clients including Ben and Jerry's and CITV.
Personally, I believe that this studio is as successful as it is because it isn't afraid to explore a wide variety of techniques to create a response that is unique every single time. I also feel that they are achieving so much because they are capable of creating work for both commercial use and for non-commercial use, which I feel is important, as it demonstrates flexibility and adaptability.

After doing a little more research, I have come to understand that Kilogramme don't hire anyone in-house, as they are such a small studio, but rather collaborate with freelance artists for their projects. They also don't offer any internships, again because they are simply too small. However, although I won't be apply for a job or internship here, I do feel that it would be extremely beneficial for me to try and get a studio visit and build up a professional relationship with them.

Viewing Kilogramme's work has encouraged me to begin to think about experimenting in my own work and trying to learn new techniques and explore new aesthetics. Even if it doesn't work out, it may lead to me discovering something that does and all in all will boost my portfolio and showreel.

No comments:

Post a Comment