Friday 10 March 2017

MAF 2016: The Red Turtle Preview

Whilst at MAF I was lucky enough to attend the preview for The Red Turtle (La Tortue Rouge) directed by Mihael Dudok De Wit. The story follows a man who is shipwrecked on this island and encounters a red turtle that is an inhabitant of the island. The beautiful tale tells of the milestones that humans experience throughout life, whilst raising questions of the mans sanity.



I found this film simply beautiful from the visuals down to the sound design and story. Although the film takes place in the same three areas of the environment, I found that I was experiencing something new every time we returned to the place we had left the scene before. I found the story to be extremely captivating and haunting by the end, as I found myself questioning the character's sanity and asking myself whether he'd imagined it all due to be lonely or whether it was real or not.

Overall I think that this film is one of the best animated feature lengths I've seen in a while and I feel fortunate to have seen it. Not only has it demonstrated what a good film looks like, but it has also opened my eyes to the fact that simplistic and minimalist animation can work just as well and tell a story just as compelling and captivating as other films. I will definitely consider what elements of my story for Extended Practice are essential and which bits may work better stripped down.

No comments:

Post a Comment