Wednesday 17 May 2017

Figuring out what I want to do...

After doing all of this research into studios and what it is that they create work wise, I began to realise what I don't necessarily want to work on as a practitioner. Even though I am aware that commercial work 'pays the bills', it isn't something that I can see myself enjoying or working in happily. However, I am not naive and I'm aware that I may have to create a significant amount of commercial work when I first start out.

The second thing I noticed was that I wasn't interested in creating educational animation of any kind. Nor am I interested in creating animation specifically targeted at young children, the kind you'd usually find on channels such as CBeebies. It is not that I don't think that these shows shouldn't be made, or that they aren't worth creating, but it is merely the fact that I want to create work for an entertainment purpose rather than an educational one.
This is the same when it comes to infomercials and motion graphics, as I am merely uninterested in creating anything like this for a non-commercial purpose.

Reflecting upon what I do want to do rather than focusing on what I don't, I have come to the realisation that I want to focus on work that is created with a strong narrative base and driven by character and story and that is created in 2D animation closer to traditional than anything, however I would also like to create work in the style of Gumball, which I know is created using Toon Boom and 2D rigs.

Overall, researching studios and reflecting upon myself as a practitioner has really helped me to pin down who I am as an animator and what I want to do. From this module I've found that I want to be an animator and I feel that I am prepared to begin my journey to begin looking for work in the relevant areas within the industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment