Sunday 15 May 2016

Lip Sync 101





Lip syncing doesn't have to be a daunting task. In fact it can be quite a pleasant experience as I found in Martin's lip sync lecture. Rather than focusing on each letter formed in a word, you can actually only focus on the phonetic sounds of that word and build your speech around that.


Martin pointed out that when you are animating speech you don't have to animate every punctuation shape, as this can make your lip sync appear out of sync and unnatural, however, it is important that you animate the vowel shapes. The shape of the mouth is also important, as it is the shape that forms the sound and this usually comes before the sound, so it is also helpful to offset the sound by a couple of frames later, as this will help you to keep everything in time. 

As a tip Martin also told us the importance of exposure sheets and encouraged us to use them if we ever do lip syncing, as they help to plan out speech to a given track in a way that everyone can understand. 
Overall, I found this lecture very useful, especially since I will be lip syncing in my Applied project. It was really useful to know that you can use replacement frames within After Effects for lip syncing and that it is as simple as selecting which frame you'd like visible for a select period of time. I'm confident that I will be able to successfully lip sync with what I have been told and I am eager to test it out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment