Monday 16 May 2016

Pitch Perfect: Branding the Company

Whilst other memebers of the team were off doing other tasks (Ciara was looking into business cards, Lauren social media and Joe finances) I had the job of designing the logo. I must admit that this isn't one of my strongest suites so I took the opportunity to try and develop upon that. With us deciding that we should go with Pixel Pocket as our companies name (we decided upon this after we had all created a list of names relating to narrative and heroes and in the end we liked the sound of something pocket and ended up at Pixel Pocket) we had agreed that the logo should revolve around a pocket, as it could be used as the 'o' in pocket, but it would also be recognizable on its own too.

With this in mind, I asked everyone to sketch out some initial ideas of what they wanted to see in the logo, however Lauren was the only one did this, but it wasn't an issue as it gave me a starting point to work from.

Lauren's sketches
Lauren's sketches

From here I was able to come up with a few other sketches that I then showed to the others, who chose from my design and told me which they'd like to see developed more.


Sheet 1
Sheet 2

Sheet 3
Developed Designs

I feel that I have managed to handle this task quite well, considering that I am not very good at working quickly on designs, as I struggle to come up a variety of designs. Everyone seemed happy with my design ideas and no one placed any concerns about the aesthetic, so I assumed that they were successful. Having said this however, I did struggle with the colouring of the logo and Joe stepped into help. When he did this, he re-designed the logo completely, and whilst I felt that his was a much better design and was a lot cleaner than mine, I couldn't help but notice that none of my teams members had brought up any issues with what I had done, and it made me realise that perhaps communication between the group wasn't great.
This led me to begin asking for individual responses to try and get everyone involved and having their say, as I didn't want anyone in the group to feel as though they didn't have a say in any area of the company. 

Joe's Design

As a team, we agreed to go with the green/ blue design, as we felt that this portrayed us a company the best. I feel that the overall outcome is very clean and clear and it looks very professional.

No comments:

Post a Comment