Sunday 15 May 2016

Manchester Animation Festival: Animation Screenings

Whilst at MAF I attended a number of animation screenings that showcased student animations to animate shorts created by professionals. As with Bradford's festival, I found that I enjoyed this most over anything else I did, even though I did find the talks to be extremely useful and interesting this year.

This year, I felt that there was a large range of animations that used mixed media, rather than one medium. This is something that I have never really considered using within my own work much. However, having seen shorts like Edmund, which used 2D animation over stop motion to crate facial features, it has made me realise that mixed media can be used to create really interesting work and it can be successful too. It was also nice to see what was being created on an international scale and I found that death was a very dominant theme within this years selections. I'm not sure how I feel about that, having been a little uncomfortable at times at how dark some of the animations were, having said this, I assume that this was the intention behind the animations, so they worked really well.

Overall, I saw a range of animations that used a variety of different techniques and media that have all encouraged me to branch out from using just digital animation and try my hand at mixing medias and they have reminded me to not be afraid to experiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment